Coffee Mushroom Cream Sauce
A New Twist on Coffee with Cream
This recipe by Sunset Magazine steeps coffee beans in cream to make the base for an absolutely delicious sauce to go with roast chicken and egg noodles. Create your own coffee and cream dream tonight.
Time: 25 minutes, plus 3 hours to steep
Yield: Serves 4 (makes 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 pt. whipping cream
- 1/2 cup coffee beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1 pound button or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, bring cream and coffee beans to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat and let sit 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned and softened, about 10 minutes.
3. Pour reserved cream through a strainer into pan with mushrooms; discard coffee beans. Simmer until cream is reduced slightly, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- 538 (92% from fat)
- 55g (sat 29)
Sunset , FEBRUARY 2009