Green Tea Ice Cream
No Ice Cream Maker Required!
This delicious recipe is made with matcha powder made from dried, de-stemmed, de-veined, stone-ground green tea leaves with no ice cream maker required. You may also accomplish this recipe, if you prefer, using an ice cream maker if you have one. You can purchase prepared Matcha powder or stone grind your own powder from one of our loose leaf green teas.
Green Tea Ice Cream Recipe (adapted from Harumi's Japanese Home Cooking)
Recipe says it serves four but we would double the quantity for four
2 tablespoons green tea powder (matcha)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. In a small bow, mix the green tea powder with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
3. Pour the milk into a small pan and gently heat taking care not to let it boil (ideally the temperature of the milk should be 176 degrees F). Remove the from the heat and mix a few spoonfuls of the warm milk with the green tea powder and sugar in a small bowl. When you have a smooth paste, add it to the remaining milk in the pan, then gradually combine with the egg yolk mixture.
4. Return mixture to the stove and heat slowly over low heat (taking care to not let the mixture boil), until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve, and allow to cool completely.
5. Lightly whip the cream and then add it to the cold green tea-milk mixture.
6. Transfer the mixture to a large container and [chill for an hour or two in the refrigerator] and then put it in the freezer. As ice crystals start to form, remove, and mix well with a spoon (use a wooden spoon and stir very vigorously) to break them up and return the mixture to the freezer. Repeat this a few times as it freezes to ensure that the ice cream is smooth.