Chocolate Espresso Mousse
According to Kevin Weeks, "there are few desserts more sensual than chocolate mousse" and his recipe is proof perfect. First, he says, "there's the whole chocolate/chemical thing and its mimicry of endorphins - the pleasure hormone. Then there's the rich, smooth, creamy mouth-feel." The other great thing mousse has going for it is you can make it a day in advance (allow at least four hours for chilling) and you're good to go. So go ahead...espress yourself !
Recipe by Kevin Weeks
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: Serves two
- 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate; chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lg. egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. superfine sugar (not powdered sugar)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. instant espresso powder
1. Dissolve the espresso power in the cream.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, combine the chopped chocolate, 1/2 cup cream, and the butter. Heat in the microwave at medium for one minute, stir.
3. Repeat until completely melted. Vigorously whisk in the egg yolk and set aside to cool.
4. Pour the remaining cream into a chilled bowl of a mixer and beat on medium speed until it starts to thicken.
5. Add the sugar and vanilla and whisk until the cream starts to form stiff peaks.
6. Mix 1/3 of the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture to lighten it.
7. Then lightly fold chocolate mixture into cream. Divide into two wine glasses, ramekins, or other container, cover, and chill at least 4 hours and up to 16.